Thursday, June 16, 2011

Zucchini and Tomato Crostini Recipe



I love cooking with zucchini during the summertime because it reminds me of my grandfather's garden.  It is readily available during this time of year, which means it is usually very affordable.  I got the zucchini I used in this recipe from the produce stand down the road from my house so it was very fresh.  The bright green and red in this recipe makes this a beautiful appetizer that will impress your guests. I love using the sweet basil in this recipe, it balances out the slight bitterness that zucchini typically has.  

1 sliced loaf of french bread
2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup of chopped onions
3 large zucchinis cut into small strips
1 tomato diced
1/2 cup of shredded romano cheese
1 handful of basil leaves torn up
Salt and Pepper

1.  Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a medium sized skillet.  Add the onions and saute for a few minutes.

2.  Add the zucchini and tomato and cook for about 8 minutes or until slightly soft.  Add the basil and salt and pepper to taste.  

3.  Scoop the vegetable mixture on top of each piece of bread.  Sprinkle each crostini with a little bit of cheese on top.  Bake for 10 minutes and then serve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...