My aunt and little cousin's birthday happen to be on the same day. We were already having a Justin Bieber themed party for the little one and I still wanted to do a little something special for my aunt; enter Cherry Limeade Cupcakes, since this drink is her favorite during the summertime! I needed some inspiration so I based my recipe off the one I found on Annie's Eats! The cake portion is moist, tart and limey, which is balanced out by the creamy sweet Whipped Maraschino Cherry Buttercream Frosting! I brought the extras into work and they were a huge hit!
6 cups of cake flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 sticks of butter, at room temperature
2 cups of sugar
2 limes (zest one and use the juice of both)
1 can of frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup of milk
3/4 cup of lemon-lime soda (I happened to have cherry 7 up on hand so I used that)
1/4 cup limeade concentrate, thawed
1/4 cup of sugar
Whipped Maraschino Cherry Buttercream Frosting
3 sticks of butter, at room temperature
9 cups of powdered sugar
1/2 cup of Maraschino cherry juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
Red Food Dye
Lime slices, quartered
Straws (Instead of buying special straws, I just cut mine down to size)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl add the cake flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together. Mix until combined.
2. In a separate bowl cream the butter until it is light and fluffy. Add in the sugar and blend. Now add the lime zest juice, limeade concentrate and vanilla. Using a mixer, start to blend the ingredients and then add the eggs, one by one.
3. Add half the flour mixture and half of the milk and continue to mix the ingredients. Add the remaining flour and milk to the batter and mix until everything is incorporated. Fold in the lemon-lime soda.
4. Using an ice cream scoop, spoon the batter into lined cupcake tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. This recipe will make almost 4 dozen cupcakes, it came out to baking 42 cupcakes for me. Make sure you bake the cupcakes in two batches, so the cupcakes will bake evenly.
5. Once the cupcakes have cooled, take a fork and poke 3 times on the top of the cupcakes. Prepare the lime syrup by whisking the two ingredients together. Take a spoon and drizzle this on top of all the cupcakes. This is what gives the cupcake the extra tanginess and fresh limeade flavor!
6. In another bowl beat the butter until it is light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, juice, vanilla and whipping cream together until it is the desired consistency. Add the red food coloring and blend until smooth. Frost on the top of cupcakes.
7. Garnish with cherries, lime wedges and straws!