Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Homemade Italian Tomato Sauce

This recipe is adapted from the red sauce that my Nonna taught me to make while growing up.  I gotta say though, mine is a lot quicker to make than hers!  I don't care much for jarred tomato sauce and once you realize how fresh and easy this is to make, you will be converted to only making your own!  I like to be able to see real chunks of tomatoes in my sauce so I don't bother peeling them.  This is also another great recipe to double and then freeze or to use in other recipes i.e. pizza, meatball sandwiches or over chicken.  You can store the extra sauce in ziplock bags or plastic containers.  Perfect for me because everyone is giving me bags of extra tomatoes from their garden!

2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
10 ripe tomatoes, diced
1/3 cup of white wine
1 teaspoon of chili pepper flakes
20 leaves of basil, cut into long strips
1 can of tomato paste

1.  In a large pot, add the olive oil, onion and garlic.  Saute for a few minutes, or until the onions begin to get soft.

2.  Stir in the tomatoes, wine, chili flakes and fresh basil.  Bring up to a boil and then turn down under low.  Cook for about 20 minutes, then add in the can of tomato paste to thicken.  Cook for about another 20 minutes and then serve.  If desired you can add up too a 1/4 cup of water to sauce for a less thick sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...